Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Pozole Rojo



Yesterday as I walked back from Don Pedro it was about time for comida. I was hungry and was trying to decide if I would stop at a tiny new restaurant I'd heard about or go home and make a sandwich. I was leaning heavily toward going home but there was a sign in the doorway of Victoria's Comida Mexicana that read Pozole Rojo. I haven't had Pozole in a long time. That sign changed my mind. I stopped.

There are four tables and the restaurant looks so bright and clean. They brought me a menu. I looked at it for informational purposes but I already knew I wanted Pozole. They had both rojo and verde. I chose the rojo. They had bowls for chico or grande. Even though I was hungry the chico looked grande enough for me. They asked if I wanted the lettuce, radish and onion in it. Yes, yes I did indeed.

I met Maria who was in the tiny kitchen that is separated from the tables by a counter. She and her sister Victoria own the restaurant. Maria speaks English and she is a charming woman. I didn't get the exact address of the restaurant but it is on the same side of Ancha de San Antonio/Salida a Celaya as Don Pedro and is across the street from Los Faroles Restaurant. They are open from 10 AM to 7 PM everyday but Sunday. The rest of the menu looked delicious and the prices were reasonable but I don't know whether I'll ever try the other items. I think I may be stuck on their Pozole.

9 comments:

  1. You ate the whole thing!!! Must have been good. I wonder if the verde is good also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious. I'll be trying the verde within the next week. I'll let you know.

      Delete
    2. Green pozole is worth killin' for! It's far better than the read.

      Delete
  2. Looks good to me! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billie, I can't figure out how to comment with using the "Anonymous" choice. Anyway, you know it is me.....
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo. I don't even like pozole and I was ready to eat the photo...of course there is a story behind all that.
    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it sure looks good! From the looks of that bowl, I would assume that it tastes good as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to the last spoonful. It was probably good to the last drop but I was embarrassed to pick up the bowl and slurp that last bit.

      Delete
  6. Never liked pozole much but on the weight of your recommendation we're going to try Victoria's. We need to expand our menu of restaurants in San Miguel...

    ReplyDelete